xfree86, via, and xv

My onboard video has the KM400 chipset which is supposed to be driven by
the 'via' driver in XFree86. According to the man page this driver
supports Xv video overlay extensions. My logfile shows that the Xvideo
extentions are loaded. However, xvinfo reports no adaptors present and
xine-check says "Your X server doesn't have any XVideo support...".

When I watch an mpg or avi, xine complains about dropped frames.

Do I have something configured wrong? Should I switch to x-org?

--
"Must the citizen ever for a moment, or in the least degree, resign his
 conscience to the legislator?  Why has every man a conscience, then?