Re: My Grub/MBR went bye bye

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:55:04 -1200, Jason Edson wrote:

> My girl just bought me a new laptop, Averatec 6100A, I used gparted
> from a live cd to split my ntfs partition to make way for debian. All
> went well and worked great. The problem is when I booted Wnd**sa
> dialog kept popping up saying there was an error. It kept popping up
> so I clicked fix and now when my computer boots it gets to the point
> where grub should show but then my computer keeps re booting. So my
> question is, how to I re-insyall grub eithout having to reinstall
> debian?

Very simple. I always suggest and resort to the Grub boot floppy in cases
like this.
Install  grub-doc. Then:
$ info grub
(scroll down to) Installation <Enter>
(scroll down to) Creating a GRUB boot floppy:: <Enter>
(follow the instructions)

Reboot to floppy, and
$ info grub
(scroll down to) Installation <Enter>
(scroll down to) Installing GRUB natively:: <Enter>
(follow the instructions - print them out so that you have them after
your boot to the grub boot-floppy)

Worx.

I bet someone will say, 'hé, we have a grub-disk as .deb and apt-get
install is easier than the creation of a grub floppy !'
In my opinion, the creation helps to read the info grub that is needed
anyway later to re-install the MBR.

Uwe