Loadlin Question

I would like help getting Loadlin to work with Linux
3.0 r6 which is using kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4 and Windows
98.  Loadlin boots the vanilla version of the kernel
2.2.20 as expected, however it seems to have a problem
uncompressing kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4 and displays the
following messages at bootup.

        unocmpressing linux .....
        invalid compression format (err=2)
         --- system haulted

The 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel boots fine from the boot
floppy.  I'm using the Loadlin instructions in Chris
Fischer's "Loadlin + Win 95/98/ME mini-HOWTO".

I realize that "sarge" is now more current but I have
invested a great deal of time in getting "woody" up
and running and would like to avoid spending time that
installing "sarge" would take.

Thanks,
Paul