Re: how to login automatically into Bash after booting?

On 8/11/2005, "phyrster" <phyrster@gmail.com> wrote:
>Is there a way to let bash automatically login a user after booting up?
>
>The sarge box is just for home use and there is no remote login or other
>remote control sort of things. For the convenience of a local user (non
>root), how to make bash login a user automatically?

I have never actually done this, but as a tip for a starting point:

Virtual console login is handled by getty via /bin/login
getty invocation is configured in /etc/inittab

from looking at the manpage of getty, you might be able to have it run
/bin/bash instead of /bin/login

This would be done by editing /etc/inittab to have a line like

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty -l /bin/bash -n 38400 tty1

instead of what you've already got on tty1

Please let me know if that works.

-Mark

--
Mark Roach