Re: daisy-chaining internet connectivity

robsims@robsims.com (Rob Sims) writes:

> On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 01:30:30AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> * Configure the second wired network card with a static IP address.
>>   Use a different subnet than you have on our WAN side.  That is, if
>>   you have a 10.* address use 192.168.1.1 on the LAN.  If your outside
>>   address is already 192.168.* then use 10.0.0.1 on your LAN side.
>>   Just make sure they are different.
>
> When using this setup, the router box (with both WAN and LAN interfaces)
> must be set up to do Network Address Translation for the wired network.
> iptables can be used for this.

man iptables did not get me very far towards actually setting up
something on the router box. Any pointers on what I need to do?

>> * Install and configure DHCP for your LAN interface.  This is probably
>>   the most complicated part of the problem.  But not overly so.
>
> Or use static IPs in /etc/networking/interfaces.

I think you mean /etc/network/interfaces. What needs to be done in
this file on each machine? Here is the router box's current interfaces
file:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth2 inet dhcp
name Wireless LAN card
wireless_essid any
wireless_key   1A2B-3C4D-5E6F-1A2B-3C4D-5E6F-1A
auto eth2

The parasite laptop is just configured to use eth0 to connect to the
internet at the moment.