Re: Help with Netinst

 Ryan M. O'Toole wrote:
Hi,

I burned a netinst image to a cd in order to install Debian on my system. It got to "Detecting hardware to find CD Drives" and the progress bar would never pass 2%. Under the progress bar it reads " Loading module 'ohci1394' for 'Texas Instruments TSB43AB21
IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller'..."

My computer:
Sager Midern Laptop
Pentium 4 w/ HT at 3.06 GHz
RAM 512 mb
Hard drive is partitioned into 20 Gb Halves.

I have let it sit for days and it would never make any progress.

The install CD is like that depending on your hardware, according to my experience.

You did the default install? (Just hit enter?)

You can try "linux26".

If that does the same thing you can try "expert26"

If that does the same thing you are down to trying Knoppix to see if that finds things on that laptop. If it does, you can create a partition manually and install a backup onto it with the settings per what Knoppix found.

On this desktop system the Debian CD installs but grub loops on the first boot.

It is a daunting task to create an install CD that works in all cases on all machines.

HTH