Re: Severe problems after upgrading some packages

I started with the company in February and at least since then the
machine hasn't been updated.
As I said I'm not really familiar with the package mechanism of Debian.
Therefore I just surfed around and found that apt is the program so I
just did 'apt-get install'.
I investigated some more and I found that the sources.list has these
entries:

deb http://ftp.skynet.be/ftp/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.skynet.be/ftp/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib
non-freedeb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US
main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

That's probably why it tried to install the latest packages. If I
replace 'unstable' with 'woody' or download the affected packages by
hand, can't I do a forced install of them?

The machine is still up and I've got a gnome-terminal and firefox
running. Starting new stuff doesn't work but the things that are
started seem to work ok. In the console most stuff doesn't work but I
can start Midnight Commander and that seems to be able to do
everything.

The other poster suggested upgrading the kernel. That isn't a viable
solution?