Re: Severe problems after upgrading some packages

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 02:58:06PM +0000, Nick de Graeve wrote:
> [...]
> installation even more I ask your advice: how can I fix it?
>

> Thanks
>
> Nick.
>
> These are the details:
>
> root@js002:/usr/local/mysql/sql-bench# apt-get install zlib1g-dev
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> libc6 libc6-dev locales zlib1g
> Suggested packages:
>   glibc-doc
>   zlib1g-dev
>   libc6 libc6-dev locales zlib1g
> 4 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 855 not upgraded.
> Need to get 12.1MB of archives.
> After unpacking 3535kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
> Get:1 http://ftp.skynet.be unstable/main libc6-dev 2.3.5-3 [2678kB]
> Get:2 http://ftp.skynet.be unstable/main locales 2.3.5-3 [4057kB]
> Get:3 http://ftp.skynet.be unstable/main libc6 2.3.5-3 [4927kB]
> Get:4 http://ftp.skynet.be unstable/main zlib1g 1:1.2.3-3 [69.0kB]
> Get:5 http://ftp.skynet.be unstable/main zlib1g-dev 1:1.2.3-3 [409kB]
> Fetched 12.1MB in 25s (484kB/s)
> Preconfiguring packages ...
> (Reading database ... 101496 files and directories currently
> installed.)
> Preparing to replace libc6-dev 2.3.2.ds1-17 (using .../libc6-dev_2.3.5-3_i386.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement libc6-dev ...
> Preparing to replace locales 2.3.2.ds1-17 (using .../locales_2.3.5-3_all.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement locales ...
> Preparing to replace libc6 2.3.2.ds1-17 (using .../libc6_2.3.5-3_i386.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement libc6 ...
> Setting up libc6 (2.3.5-3) ...
> mv: error while loading shared libraries: libacl.so.1: cannot enable
> executable stack as shared object requires: Error 14
> dpkg: error processing libc6 (--configure):
>   subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
>   Errors were encountered while processing:
>     libc6
>     E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> I tried it a second time:
>
> root@js002:/usr/local/mysql/sql-bench# apt-get install zlib1g-dev
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   zlib1g
>   zlib1g-dev
>   zlib1g
> 1 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 855 not upgraded.
> 3 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B/478kB of archives.
> After unpacking 606kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
> Setting up libc6 (2.3.5-3) ...
> mv: error while loading shared libraries: libacl.so.1: cannot enable
> executable stack as shared object requires: Error 14
> dpkg: error processing libc6 (--configure):
>   subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
>   Errors were encountered while processing:
>     libc6
>     E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

This is not good:

Preparing to replace libc6-dev 2.3.2.ds1-17 (using .../libc6-dev_2.3.5-3_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libc6-dev ...

I am running a currently up-to-date Sarge box.  The current version of
libc6 is 2.3.2.ds1-22.  Version 2.3.2.ds1-17 was uploaded on 19 Aug.
That means that the box has likely not been properly updated since
sometime between the middle of August and the beginning of October (when
version 2.3.2.ds1-18 was uploaded).  This is generally not a good thing.

Not only that, but you are installing things from Sid, the current
unstable distribution.  It is not good to mix distributions (stable,
testing, unstable, experimental) unless you are *sure* you know what you
are doing.

The best thing I can recommend is to boot a Knoppix CD (assuming the box
is x86, if not then another suitable LiveCD Linux distro) and chroot in
and try and fix it.  That will allow you to back out and chroot back in
if necessary.

At this point.  Your best bet is likely to just upgrade to testing or
usntable.  You can try going back to stable, but downgrades are not
supported by the Debian developers and it is a dicey proposition at
best.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez