Re: Is it safe to delete all .deb files under "/var/cache/apt"?

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 10:14:32AM +0800, Lian Liming wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I find my space for "/" partition have little space left. So I want to
> delete some un-useful files.
>
> It seems all my installed packages' deb files locate under "/var/cache/apt".
> I *guess* those files should not be necessary to my current system. So I
> want to delete them to release some spaces.
>
> So I wonder if it is safe to delete all .deb files under "/var/cache/apt"?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Yes, it is perfectly safe.  Those files are there so that if you later
choose to a reinstall a .deb that you recently installed, (assuming the
version has not changed in the interim) it is already stored locally.

The correct way, or Debian way, to delete them is to run 'apt-get clean'
or 'aptitude clean' or to use your package manager's "clean" or "deleted
cached packages" function.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez