Re: Quick advise: Racoon and IPsec

Anders,

Our situations differ a bit, however I've found Debian's racoon package
to be quite useful.  I just use it to encrypt all traffic between two
hosts that use NFS and XDMCP on my LAN.  Who says NFS can't be secure in
transit?  I also only use PSKs and haven't bothered with certs.

When you install it, debconf will ask if you want to use racoon-tool.
I've only used racoon with the racoon-tool configuration file, which I
understand simplifies things.

After installing, there are really only three steps:

1.  Add your host/PSK entry to /etc/racoon/psk.txt
2.  Add a connection to /etc/racoon/racoon-tool.conf
3.  Restart /etc/init.d/racoon

It's not perfect.  The most annoying issue in my little setup is that
NFS doesn't mount immediately on boot.  It seems it takes some time
(seconds) for the connection to become available and the first few
packets go nowhere.  I think this is pointed out in the IPSec HOWTO.

-Jeff