Re: different network speeds in two directions

H. S. <greatexcalibur <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> In my home network, I have a Testing based router that has eth1
> connected to my ADSL modem and eth0 connected to my LAN switch. The
> router computer is a Pentium III (Katmai), 449.02MHz with 159.360 MB RAM
> total. All my home machines are connection to the switch.
>
> One of my home machines is Pentium 4, 2GHz with 254MB RAM, running
> Debian Sid and 2.6.11 kernel. Let us call it C-0.
>
> Another machine is Pentium 4, 1.9GHz with 254MB running Testing and
> 2.6.11 kernel. Let us call it C-1.
>
> Both machines have 10/100 Mbps NICs. The problem is that when I transfer
> file (via sftp) from either machine to the other, I get different speeds
> in each direction:
>
> files sent: C-0 -> C-1: around 5 MBps.
> files send: C-1 -> C-0: around 8.5 MBps.
>
> Anybody know why is this?
>
> thanks,
> ->HS

Hmm, network config and performance tuning can be a bit of a black art.  My
guess is you are routing the packets differently somehow.  Try turning
everything off except C-0, C-1 and the switch and see what you get then.

I'm assuming you are using the switch to seperate your LAN from the ADSL
connection/router machine, so you wouldn't need the router powered up unless
you are connecting to the Net?  Then again IANA network expert so I might just
be talking rubbish ;-)

Cheers,

David.