Re: [Bit OT]: Latex Gurus?

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 12:41:04AM +1000, Byron Hillis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just wanting to tap into some of the wide-ranging knowledge
> available on this list.
>
> A quick Q for a Latex document layout. I want a single
> column output, but on the right hand side I want a line
> that separates the \marginpar notes from the rest of the
> text. Like this....
>
>       Body Text Body Text Body Text |
>       Body Text Body Text Body Text |
>       Body Text Body Text Body Text | MarginPar
>       Body Text Body Text Body Text |
>
> I've googled like hell, but I'm not sure exactly what
> I'm looking for. I want it on every page, so a picture
> environment doesn't seem to be an option (but I could be
> wrong). I was thinking maybe an image placed behind the
> text with the line in the correct location, like a
> watermark, and that lead me to find the eso-pic package,
> but I couldn't get it to Compile when I used the
> \AddToPictureShipout command.
>
> I'm using PDFLatex to compile, on Sarge with a complete
> Tetex install.

I forget if the minipage environment is limnited to a single page, or if
it can span multiple pages.  If the latter, then that may be an option.

If that doesn't work, there is a site [0] that descrides how to get a
vertical bar that at least is as high as the text in the margin.

-Roberto

[0] http://web.reed.edu/cis/help/latexAdvanced.html#notes
--
Roberto C. Sanchez