ttf fonts ugly when non-anti-aliased (after -> xserver-xorg)

I've recently installed xserver-xorg that is in unstable.  Everything
went smoothly, and everything runs fine.  I just have one small, but
terribly annoying  problem now: non-antialiased fonts, possibly only
TrueType ones, like "arial", now look ugly.  Before the upgrade, non-AA
12pt arial looked just as nice as 12pt helvetica (bitmap font).  Now,
it looks like a poorly scaled bitmap font, with an extra pixel here, or
a misplaced one there.

* is this a known problem?
* anybody else experience this?
* if not, what should I look at to further diagnose the problem?
* is there some good, recent, up-to-date, Debian specific document
giving a comprehensive overview of fonts on X11?  As is, I'm feeling
rather lost, with so many disparate pieces in the puzzle, and trying to
get a coherent picture as to how they all interrelate (X11, xft, xfs,
xfstt, fontconfig, defoma, the mass of disparate font paths [I think
there's at least 10 paths for TrueType fonts alone on my system], etc.)

I scoured Google, tried various things in ~/.fonts.conf, etc., but
nothing seems to make this ugliness go away.  Font rendering in
X11/Linux seemed to be in constant state of flux, which tends to make
obsolete any font HOWTOs and solutions at a frustrating rate...