Re: GMail pop & fetchmail

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 11:04:01AM +0100 or thereabouts, Peter J Ross wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 03:19:23AM -0400, Steve Å wrote:

<snip>

> > What I've done so far is tell procmail to fetch using SSL.
>
> You mean fetchmail, not procmail, I assume.

Correct.

> > When I run fetchmail (standalone as opposed to daemon), I'm told SSL
> > is not enabled.
> >
> > In my research tonight, I downloaded and installed fetchmail-ssl,
> > apparently it's a 'virtual' package, and therefore not much use.
>
> It exists to replace the old (Woody) fetchmail-ssl with the new
> (Sarge) fetchmail, which already includes ssl support.

OIC. Thanks.

> > I do have OpenSSL enabled.

<snip>

> > Does anyone have any hints ?
>
> This works for me in .fetchmailrc:
>
> 	poll pop.gmail.com
> 	proto POP3
> 	port 995
> 	user 'username@gmail.com'
> 	pass 'password'
> 	ssl

Yeah that's the syntax I've tried previously. Never-the-less I tried it again,
with a fresh set of eyes. No luck ... 8(

> Perhaps you may need to specify the port number (and check that your
> firewall allows you to connect to it)? Also, your path for sslcertpath
> seems impossible. Did you mean ~/certs/.certs? As you can see from my
> example, you don't need the certificates, though fetchmail warns if
> they're not verifiable.

Yeah my Firewall allows such connections. The path I used for the certs was
according to an example I had found via Google. I've changed to various other
paths with the same result.

> That's all I can suggest without seeing the error messages from
> fetchmail.

Well, the error is quite simply "/home/steve123/.fetchmailrc:12: SSL is not
enabled at ssl" when I run fetchmail.

--
Steve <http://sweetpig.dyndns.org:1000/>
Sunday Aug 07 2005 10:55:01 AM EDT