Re: GMail pop & fetchmail

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 03:19:23AM -0400, Steve Å wrote:

> Need help please.
>
> I've Google'ed for the entire evening for hints on how to enable
> procmail to fetch from GMail. Unfortunately I haven't been able to
> find anything Debian specific.
>
> What I've done so far is tell procmail to fetch using SSL.

You mean fetchmail, not procmail, I assume.

> When I run fetchmail (standalone as opposed to daemon), I'm told SSL
> is not enabled.
>
> In my research tonight, I downloaded and installed fetchmail-ssl,
> apparently it's a 'virtual' package, and therefore not much use.

It exists to replace the old (Woody) fetchmail-ssl with the new
(Sarge) fetchmail, which already includes ssl support.

> I do have OpenSSL enabled.
>
> Here is what I've done:
>
>     1/  extracted GMail Certificate to ~/home
>     2/  extracted Thawte Certificate to ~/home
>     3/  added the following to my  ~/home/.fetchmailrc
>
>     poll pop.gmail.com with proto POP3 and options no dns user
>     'username@gmail.com' with pass "pa33w0r8"  is 'username' here options ssl
>     sslcertck  sslcertpath '~home/certs/.certs'
>
> Does anyone have any hints ?

This works for me in .fetchmailrc:

	poll pop.gmail.com
	proto POP3
	port 995
	user 'username@gmail.com'
	pass 'password'
	ssl

Perhaps you may need to specify the port number (and check that your
firewall allows you to connect to it)? Also, your path for sslcertpath
seems impossible. Did you mean ~/certs/.certs? As you can see from my
example, you don't need the certificates, though fetchmail warns if
they're not verifiable.

That's all I can suggest without seeing the error messages from
fetchmail.

--
PJR :-)