Re: two ppp interfaces brought up at startup?

On 05/08/05, Leszek Koltunski <leszek@serwer.3miasto.net> wrote:

> Hello Debian gurus,
>
> My problem is that at startup, 2 ppp interfaces are brought up : ppp0
> and ppp1. ( I've got a DSL line here ) Every time I boot the system
> (it's a laptop so I pretty much have to switch it off/on everyday ) I
> gotta su to root and 'ifconfig ppp1 down' to get networking to work.
> As you might imagine, this is quite frustrating.

I had exactly this problem. Here is what I did to solve it.

Firstly, edit your /etc/network/interfaces file to have the following lines:

auto dsl-provider
iface dsl-provider inet ppp
     provider dsl-provider
#please do not modify the following line
     pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up #line maintained by pppoeconf

(although, mine looks like this:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto dsl-provider
iface dsl-provider inet ppp
     provider dsl-provider
#please do not modify the following line
     pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up #line maintained by pppoeconf

I add this purely for completion: Perhaps you wish a loopback for
CUPS, et cetera. As you like it.)

Next, go to /etc/ppp and delete both ppp_on_boot and ppp_on_boot.dsl.
You probably will have these. Then, reboot.

Doing those two things should solve your problem. To make sure, try
ifconfig. You should see only eth0 and ppp0 (and possibly the lo bit).

If this does not work, try to look about in /etc/ppp and /etc/network
for any thing that looks remotely connected to your situation. And, of
course, E-Mail the thread.