Re: Can't get more than 1024x768 even with the on-board card properly detected (XFree86+KDE 3.3)

I have an HP tablet pc to work on, so I couldn't test with your
resolution, as mine
only scales to 1024x768. This is what I did, and it could help you.

when you start your X session, by default a log file is created at
/var/log/XFree86.0.log
type mv /var/log/XFree86.0.log /var/log/XFree86.0.log.old
  this will just rename the logfile, so we can start a new one fresh.
then
type startx
open /var/log/XFree86.0.log in your favorite text editor.

Scroll until you see a line that looks like this (or something similar):

(II) Setting vga for screen0
this is the section where it probes your monitor for valid resolutions.
I took the modes lines out of my XF86Config-4 file, and this is where
it get interesting. X will probe a bunch of different screen settings
to find one that will work. In my case many of the default resolutions
do not work.

Scroll down and see if you find something similar to this.

(**) DRIVERNAME(0): Validated modes for display device DEVICENAME:

if this exists, the lines immediately after this will show the
resolution X believes are good. Then, just below this, would be
something similar:
(**) DRIVERNAME(0):       Default mode "INSERT RESOLUTION": Scan freq. .....

This will list all of the modes X deems as compatible with your current setup.

If your modes line contains an incompatible resolution, it will also
state this. above the (**) line.

(WW) DRIVERNAME(0): Not using mode "INSERT RESOLUTION" ("INSERT REASON")

If your log file states that your custom mode is incompatible, it will
take someone with more knowledge than I to help you.
I am actually new to Linux, and don't know nearly as much as I would like.

anyway, if this doesn't work post the contents of your entire
XF86Config-4 file, as well as the entire /var/log/XFree86.0.log file.

Until next time...