Re: *.deb & *.udeb files

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 01:51:00PM +0200, Johan wrote:
> Hi list members,
>
> Bit new to Debian.
>
> Up to now I only new and read of *.deb files only.
>
> Now while trying to learn more about Debian I find a lot of *.udeb files on the
> cd's.
>
> On disc 1 there is 1038 .deb files &  145 .udeb files.
>
> Kindly please what is the difference .. etc.

udeb is a transliteration of micro-deb (since u is the closest Roman
letter to the Greek mu).  They are debs that are used in places like the
installer and do not necessarily meet all the policy requirements that a
normal deb would.  Generally you will never need to mess with them
unless you are making/customizing a Debian installer.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto