Re: How to stop X, to get a text mode console (new to Debian, need help)

02 August 2005 Kent West wrote:

>>How can I shutdown X to get a normal text mode terminal,
>Ctrl-Alt-F1, followed by (see below)

I knew that.

>>Currently the Gnome Display Manager (gdm?) is loaded
>>when booting (graphical login), and there seems to be
>>no option, to stop it, to get a text mode tty.
>/etc/init.d/gdm stop

This I didn't know, I read in a Linux Book to go
to another console and enter init 3. I tried it
also with init 2 (IMHO default text mode runlevel
on Debian), but it didn't work). Thank you.

>>How can I change my installation, so that it uses
>>the KDE display manager, which I have heard, has
>>the possibility to stop X, to get a text tty.
>aptitude install kdm
>(or if it's already installed, "dpkg-reconfigure kdm")
>And how (with gdm and kdm) can I restart X11, after
>doing some things in text mode (it takes a long time
>to reboot Debian completely)
>/etc/init.d/gdm start
>/etc/init.d/kdm start

Thanks a lot. This problem is now solved. Still the
problem with the nearly unreadable fonts, but now I
can play with the XF86Config-4 file, cause I can
stop and restart X11 quickly.

peter_sulzer doesn't like spam and this is my domain: