Re: Practical problems faced by new Debian user

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 04:59:33PM -0700, nuno romano wrote:
> I have Debian 3.1Sarge(testing) from early
> May2005,since then I have
> downloaded binary packages from testing(latest May)
> and 3.1stable
> (early June) and with dpkg -install package_x.deb I
> usually get:
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
> package_x:
> package_x depends on libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-21);however:
>  Version of libc6 on system is 2.3.2.ds1-20
> ---> the programs were unpacked but not
> configured.(Can I FORCE the
>      configuration in these cases -very close
> versions- ?)
> Well,a REAL libc6 incompatibility is not probable
> here(2.3.2=2.3.2)a
> strict dpkg problem is what I see here.So,how can I
> surpass this?(I
> suppose that the package equivs -to fool dependencies-
> is not an option
> here).I simply don´t believe that we need to
> substitute major libraries
> each time we pick a new version of a program few weeks
> later.(Compiling
> from sources to adapt to my environment is not
> optional,I don´t have the
> large majority of developer packages in my CD set).
> NOTE: I am aware that with apt-get POSSIBLY the cost
> of upgrading from
> libc6 2.3.2.ds1-20 to libc6 2.3.2.ds1-21 is only to
> change a few files,
> and a few minutes of Internet connection.Is that so?
> Or the ENTIRE new
> libc6 would be downloaded?
> I simply prefer to pick the packages manually with a
> webbrowser.
> EXAMPLE:In my CD set I don´t have MySQL-Admin and
> MySQL-Query-Browser.
>         I got the sources and I have fallen in a HELL
> of dependencies
>         trying to build the .deb binaries(need a lot
> of dev packages).
>         So I got the .deb binaries and the only
> barrier I face to reach
>         a proper installation is this libc6
> 2.3.2.ds1-21 dpkg warning.

The current version of libc6 in Sarge is 2.3.2.ds1-22.  The fact that
you have 2.3.2.ds1-20 indicates that your system is not up to date.  You
may want to consider updating, especially since version 2.3.2.ds1-21 of
libc6 contained a number of security and bug fixes.

Incidentally, you can probably use one of the --force-* options to dpkg
and make it install the package.  The only problem you may encounter is
that the program may or may not run or behave as expected.

Roberto C. Sanchez