Re: Problem with Debian Sarge installation

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 02:38:45PM +0430, Arash Hesami wrote:
> Dear Debian Project team,
>
> I am writing you to explain about my problem to install Debian 3.1 Sarge on
> my Laptop.
> Initially, I've got HP Pavilion ze 4900 which has Realtek Semiconductor co.
> ltd RTL-8139/8139C and FireWare ethernet. I have already installed several
> GNU/Linux distros on my Laptop including Ubuntu, XanrOS, Fedora Core,
> Mandriva and SuSE without any problem.
> Secondly, my problem with Debian installation has occured when I install it
> and it reboots for the second round of installation. I have tasted with both
> ways such as "linux26" and "expert26" but the results are the same. I have
> disabled LAN card on BIOS but again it freeze when it comes to recognizing
> Ethernet (Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controle)

That is actually NOT ethernet.  That is firewire.  You can run network
links between machines using firewire, hence the driver tends to load
automatically when it detects a firewire controller.  You could see if
you can disable firewire in the bios perhaps, although I haven't
personally ever seen a crash loading the firewire driver (not that that
means you machine can't do so.)

> Here's a shot of the problem on my laptop:
>
> http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/enigme77/debian1.jpg

Your screen shot actually appears to show the firewire driver loading
ok, but your sound driver having caused a crash just a moment before
that.  That appears to have crashed/killed discover which may cause
other things to hang as well.

> Thirdly, when I am trying to install it with Kernel 2.4, it says;

> usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
>  usb.c: registered new driver hub
>  usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275$
>  usb-uhci.c: High bandwith mode enable
>
> I've had 14 Binary CDs and the Original DVD but I can not install it due to
> the above explanation.
> I was wondering if you'd let me know how can I solve that problem for me.

Well there could be an imcompatibility between the kernel on the debian
install cd, and your machine.  It looks like discover loads sound, then
usb, then firewire, and at least your screen shot shows sound failing
badly.  Perhaps you could turn off sound in the bios and see if that
works (if you can turn off sound at all).

I really hate laptops.  So full of non standard proprietary hardware. :)

Len Sorensen