Re: newbie can't install 3.1

Rajiv Vyas wrote:

>On 7/31/05, Hans-Peter Sulzer <ql_freak@gmx.net> wrote:
>

>>On 26 July 2005 schrieb Evans wrote:
>>

>>>I don't know much, and figured the best way to learn linux is by having it.
>>>

>>>Unfortunately, the installation looked like it only half succeeded.  The gui
>>>

>>>won't work, and it won't auto-config my network card (I'm often on a big
>>>lan, and windows works).  Of that I am certain, and other things might not
>>>

>>>work either.  I'm seeing a lot of "blabbedy blah failed to load" or similar
>>>

>>>in the boot-up process.  Unfortunately, I can't take screenshots to troubleshoot, because I have to reboot to run windows, the OS where I can
>>>get on the internet, and therefore any possible support.  Any help would be
>>>

>>>most appreciated.  I'm sorry if I'm asking the wrong people, but I just
>>>haven't seen any newbie faqs or mailing lists.
>>>

>I am a newbie too and I think Knoppix is good start. But if you like
>Linux and want to install it on your HD, then IMHO, Ubuntu is probably
>better.

Or you could just go ahead and stick with Debian.

However, a LiveCD such as Ubuntu or Knoppix or Kanotix would be a good
test to make sure your hardware (ethernet card, etc) is compatible with
Linux.

In order to configure your network, you need the appropriate module
("driver") installed for your network adapter, and you need to configure
the software side of things (DHCP vs static address, etc).

Generally Debian 3.1 does a pretty good job of autodetecting hardware.
If your network doesn't work, that makes me suspect that your network
adapter is not supported by Linux. But that's only a suspicion.

First, find out what your network chipset is: run "lspci" and look for a
line concerning your ethernet adapter. What does it say the chipset is?
The one on this machine looks like:

> 0000:00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX
> (rev 20)

>From various resources (Google), it can be found that this chipset uses
the "tulip" module. Running "modconf" I can then insert the tulip
module, and now my ethernet adapter should be available.

Next, the networking software needs to be configured. This is done in
"/etc/network/interfaces". Assuming you'll be using DHCP, it'll need to
look like this:
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

> # The loopback interface
> # automatically added when upgrading
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

Finally, you need to (re)start networking, which can be accomplished
with the command "/etc/init.d/networking restart".

You should now be able to ping, ftp, use lynx, ssh, etc.

Now finish installing the GUI (the X Window System) with the commands
"aptitude update" and "aptitude install x-window-system kde gnome".

Now you should be able to start X either by rebooting or by running
"startx" or by running "/etc/init.d/kdm" (assuming you chose KDM rather
than GDM for your graphical login manager when asked in the above
"aptitude install..." command).

--
Kent