Re: Aptitude erroneously thinks many packages are unused and wants to remove them.

On 8/1/05, Christian Pernegger <pernegger@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Briefly, run aptitude in interactive mode - ie # aptitude
> > If you press g (only once), the proposed actions will be displayed, you
> > can then 'h' hold packages you don't want removed.
>
> Since this is basically the issue I brought up a day or so earlier...
>
> Why should users have to wade through a (potentially long) list of
> packages and tell aptitude to install [+] or hold [=] the packages
> they don't want removed? After all it's been told to install the
> package at some point, and without an order to the contrary shouldn't
> even consider removing it. Maybe an explicit upgrade order for a
> single package should have this effect, but not the standard bring me
> up to date sequence ([u], [U], [g], [g]).
>
> Again what's the advantage over the old "don't auto-remove a package
> under any circumstances" behaviour? Especially given that this could
> easily be adapted to ""don't auto-remove a package unless it is marked
> auto (A)".

Aptitude shouldn't remove packages you've told it to install - but it
doesn't know whether packages installed through other means (apt-get,
dselect, dpkg -i, etc) were manually or automatically installed. Also,
if you're on sid, there are a lot of uninstallable packages due to the
C++ transition - the only good solution in that case is to temporarily
hold them as needed.