Re: Patching a Kernel

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 06:36:06PM +0200, Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:
> On Monday 01 August 2005 17:59, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > Patching is easy.
>
> Not really. I rememeber my beginnings: I never knew where should I have  to
> 'cd' before applying the patch.
>
> Then understanding the error messages too. For ewample, patches initially made
> for vanilla kernels may not work on distribution-patched kernels (may be, I
> tell). People somtimes have to hack the patch. It's not very, very easy.

Hacking the patch may or may not be easy, depending on the complexity.
Actually patching is near trivial:

- Unpack the source
- cd kernel-source-2.x.y
- patch -i /path/to/patch -p1 --dry-run (if 1 doesn't work, 0 usually
  does)
- If there a no errors or warnings, then rerun withouth dry-run
- configure/compile/install/etc.

-Robeto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez