debian sarge freeze computer

Hi all,

I have a problem that  occurs on 2  IBM PIV 2.4Ghz, 1 Gb RAM and 40Gb
IDE HDD with debian sarge 3.1 (kernel 2.6).
On other computer, the same debian don't give-me any problem.

After some hours execution (with or without activities ), the computer
seems to freeze, they work very slow with high load average but cpu %
usage  very low or zero.

I disable APM, but problem continue.
I don't know what occurs, and I haven't any direction how to see whar occurs.

I see on google that could be UDMA, but I don't know. I will try to disable dma.

Could anyone help-me, give-me some directions to solve problem ?

I don't know if it will help, but same machines with redhat 9 (kernel
2.4) don't have this problem.

Thanks,
Paulo

Paulo Jorge Zagalo das Neves