Re: Problems with apt

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> David A. Cobb wrote:
>
>> After using it successfully several times a week, every run of apt-get
>> or aptitude now ends with:
>>
>> E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
>> E: Error occurred while processing python2.3 (NewVersion2)
>> E: Problem with MergeList
>> /var/lib/apt/lists/mail.linuxvar.it_%7egianluca_athlon-xp_dists_sarge_main_binary-i386_Packages
>>
>> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
>>
>> The specific /var/lib/apt/lists file that show up as MergeList varies
>> depending on how many active
>> sources I hav in sources.list
>>
>> I'm guessing this is more likely a configuration problem than an apt
>> bug.
>> Can anyone give me a clue?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/linux.debian.devel/browse_thread/thread/4ea8ee8629bee9ab/b3a5a18d4bb161ca?lnk=st&q=Dynamic+MMap&rnum=3&hl=ia#b3a5a18d4bb161ca

Yes, that did the trick.  The particular Cache-Limit number is obviously
meaningful -- I don't lack for memory so I also tried doubling the
number given in the article -- that also crashed.
However, to make the entire process succeed, I also needed to reduce the
number of sources in my sources.list below what I like.

Q: Is this an active bug?

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.