Standard 2.6.8 Debian kernel is not working!! Why? Please help!

Hello!

I have installed a Debian 2.6.8 standard kernel from the Debian ftp server
using Dselect. But it won't boot up my system! :-( HELP! :-)

This is the output:

/sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

The kernel is precompiled btw.
My theory is that I need to install the console device package, but I can't
find this anywhere. :-( Do I need to create the console device, maybe? Hmm...

I'm not a member of the list, so please use the cc.

Greetings
Björn