Upgrading With Apt-Get

I would like to upgrade my Debian to Sid from Sarge. I have done this
before, but, to make a long tale brief, must do it again.

When I use apt-get -V dist-upgrade, it informs me that it will be
removing, amongst other things, gaim and the gnome-core. It would seem
to me that I want these things. I tried apt-get -V upgrade and, in
lieu of removing them, it holds them back.

The Question, then, is this: How do I make it upgrade every thing and
not keep any thing back or delete it?

Thank you Kindly in advance.
--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.