Re: Problems with apt

Hallo,

I had this problem too. I had a lot of entries in the sources.list file. For every entry, apt gets the description of all the packages. Somewhere apt merges this information into one big "file". For this, it needs a lot of memory which it doesn't get. I am not sure whether it needs disk space (in /var) or main memory or swap space (in /tmp).

I solved my problem by removing unnesseccery entries from sources.list.

Vincent

David A. Cobb wrote:
After using it successfully several times a week, every run of apt-get
or aptitude now ends with:

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occurred while processing python2.3 (NewVersion2)
E: Problem with MergeList
/var/lib/apt/lists/mail.linuxvar.it_%7egianluca_athlon-xp_dists_sarge_main_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

The specific /var/lib/apt/lists file that show up as MergeList varies
depending on how many active
sources I hav in sources.list

I'm guessing this is more likely a configuration problem than an apt bug.
Can anyone give me a clue?

TIA