Re: FW: slightly-OT: centralized user management

On Saturday 30 July 2005 10:59, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Cool.  Would you consider posting it so I have a starting point?  No
> sense reinventing the wheel :-)

Unfortunately, the script is owned by my employer so I can't share it. But all
I did was set up OpenLDAP, use the Official Samba HOWTO to configure the
Linux server. Then on each Linux work station I just copy the pam_mount
script there are modify /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/pam.d/xdm to support
LDAP. I put the pam_mount script in cron to run nightly to syncronize with
the Linux server. Then, the Linux desktops automatically mount the users data
from /var/lib/samba/profiles/<username>/My Documents
to /home/<user>/network_drive and unmount it when they log off.

On Windows, you just join an NT4 style domain and then that's it. The Samba
server instructs it to do roaming profiles. The profiles are stored
in /var/lib/samba/profiles/<username>

--
I use digital signatures and encryption. My key is stored at pgp.mit.edu key
ID code: "0x8DB3BF09". F: F628 D9D3 E57A C281 5EFE  7DF7 B52A A393 8DB3 BF09