dselect Some Menus Display Blows Sky High in Sarge on VT100.

	I have upgraded 3 systems to Sarge and each one exhibits a
peculiar behavior when running dselect.  It occurs only in the main
and conflict resolution menus and looks like:

Help:pIntroductionptopconflict/dependencypresolutionpsub-listppppppppppppppppppp
Tupu~tu~sys~v|ystprus|uty~p}py~trtusty~~pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
_~uprp}rupvpyurpsxysuspxqvuprqysutpqps~v|ystprptupu~tu~sypprr|u}p}pppppp
s}uppqs{qwuspsxu|tp~|yprupy~stq||utpy~ps~zu~sty~pwytxpsurtqy~ptxurs|pq~tpp
s}ups}ry~qty~spvppqs{qwusp}qyp~tprupy~stq||utptwutxur~pppppppppppppppppppp
pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
Yupwy||psuupqpsur}|ystps~tqy~y~wptxuppqs{qwuspy~v|vut~ppTxuprtt}pxq|vpvppp
txuptysp|qypsxwspru|uvq~tps~v|ystspq~tptupu~tu~syus{pusuppywptpsys|uprutwuu~p
txqt|ptxuppqs{qwuptussrypty~spq~tptxupy~tur~q|ps~tr|py~vr}qty~~pppppppppppp
pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
Qpsutpvppsuwwustutwppqs{qwuspxqspruu~psq|su|qtut|pq~tptxupy~ytyq|p}qr{y~wspy~pp
txyspsur}|ystpxqvupruu~psutptp}qtsxptxsu|pspyupsq~pzustpxytpRutur~ptppppppp
qssuptptxupsuwwusty~spyvpyupwysx~ppYup}qypqrrtptxupsxq~wuxsypwxysxpsqusutppp
txupprr|u}xsy|pq~tpwprqs{ptptxup}qy~p|yst|prypprussy~wpsqpytq|ppXw~pppppppppp
pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
Yupsq~pq|sp}vupqru~tptxup|ystpq~tpsxq~wuptxup}qr{y~wspsptxqtptxuypqrup}rup
|y{upwxqtpyupwq~t|pq~tpyupsq~ppruzustwp}ypsuwwusty~sprypusy~wptxupsqpytq|pppp
pTwprppRwp{uyspxsuuptxup{uyry~ty~wspxu|ppssruu~y~ppYupsq~pusupsqpytq|ppQwptpp
vrsup}uptpqssuptptxupsytuqty~psurru~t|yptysp|qyut|py~psqsupyupwq~tptppppppp
vurrytupqprus}}u~tqty~prptxy~{ptxqtptxupprwrq}pysp}ystq{u~~pppppppppppppppp
pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
Prussp|spqsu~ptp|uqvupxu|ppq~tpu~turptxupsur}|yst{pru}u}rurzpprussppwpvrpxu|p
Pressp?pforphelppmenu,p.pforpnextptopic,p<space>ptopexitphelp.pppppppppppppppppp

	I run all 3 systems remotely via the serial port and have a
serial console defined on each system.  The opening screen of dselect
is fine until I make a selection such as 2 and hit Enter at which time
the cryptoquote express kicks in.  It is as if we have a bunch of
8-bit characters as you can see that spaces become P's and lots of
other odd symbols appear.  The text parts of the message actually
still mostly show up with P's or sometimes W's as spaces.

	On rare occasions, it works normally, but I haven't figured
out what magic words I may have accidentally said so I can say them
again the next time.  I sure know what words I say when it does
happen.

	Any ideas are appreciated.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group