OT: Running mc under screen

Sorry to bug you all with this, but things are getting too bloody on c.o.l.m these days...

I'm trying to run midnight commander under GNU screen running on xterm. Works fine, except that shift-arrow keys insert sequences of characters, rather than selecting text. I can't SEE any key-bindings for shift-arrows, but I'm sure they're there somewhere. Probably has something to do with termcap, but LOTS of searching and reading has added nothing but confusion. Fails under etch (and also Mepis, FWIW). Can anyone point me in a productive direction?

BTW, mc works correctly when run directly on xterm.

Thanks for any help!

Jeff