Re: Debian Sarge to Etch

On 7/27/05, Fred OGrady <fred.ogrady@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul,
>
> I have a small question, (as a newbe).
>
> Just how "Unstable" is Unstable?
>
> I enjoyed the (accidental) upgrade to Sarge. (I updated and, when I logged
> into the GUI, I was suprised to find everything changed.)
>
> Even in Unstable,  I wouldn't expect my system to be crashing every day.
> Would I?
>
> I would expect to see a gradual change in the capabilitys and features of my
> system.

I wouldn't exactly expect it to crash. However, right now there is a
major transition affecting all C++ programs. If you try to upgrade to
sid, expect lots of errors with missing dependencies, some broken
packages, etc. Be prepared to hold packages at a pre-sid version until
things shake out.

etch (testing) isn't so bad - dependencies are guarenteed to be sorted
out before packages reach it. But there can still be other kinds of
bugs in testing.

> I have been playing with Linux for a number of years now,  Caldera, Redhat,
> Lindows (now Linspire), and most recently, strait Debian.  I got sick of
> Technicians telling me they had to re-install the OS everytime some files
> got corrupt.
>
> It seems that anyone running Unstable is actually on the cutting edge of
> Debian's capabilities (and limitations).
>
> I hope these qustions are not to off topic.  I didn't want to risk Top
> Posting.

*cough* you did, actually :) Top posting is replying before the quoted
text of the previous message.