Re: Space recovery

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Robert Brockway wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, John Graves wrote:
>
> > I am still discovering what I don't know...Among that is why after I
> > deleted a 17GB error log, df does not report that space as usable.  Is
> > there some process I need to start after deletion to actually recover
> > that space?
>
> In Unix the space will not be released back to the "free list" while a
> process has the file open.  Use losf or fuser to establish was processes

Oh strike that, you've already deleted it :)  You could try to figure out
this information through /proc but it probably isn't worth.  In future I
recommend checking on what processes have a file open with lsof or fuser
before deleting the file.

In this case just restarting syslogd as per my earlier post is most likely
the way to go.  You may wish to wait until after hours if the box is in
production and it can wait to get the 17GB back.

I really recommend against rebooting in the face of a problem like this.
It doesn't help anymore than restarting syslogd, interrupts the use of the
system and could even create more problems than it solves.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.		Phone:	+1-416-669-3073
Senior Technical Consultant	Email:	support@opentrend.net