Re: Space recovery

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, John Graves wrote:

> I am still discovering what I don't know...Among that is why after I
> deleted a 17GB error log, df does not report that space as usable.  Is
> there some process I need to start after deletion to actually recover
> that space?

In Unix the space will not be released back to the "free list" while a
process has the file open.  Use losf or fuser to establish was processes
have a file open.  Whether or not you actually want to stop them will
depend on the operational responsibilities of you and the box.

Given that it is a log file I believe it will be syslogd.  In Debian you
can restart syslogd like this:

/etc/init.d/sysklogd restart

Check df afterwards and things should look better.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.		Phone:	+1-416-669-3073
Senior Technical Consultant	Email:	support@opentrend.net