convert ra files to wav or other format mplayer problem

Hi
someone gave me ab audio lecture file in ra format. I can listen to it with
the realplayer viewer/listener. Can I convert it to mplayer format

when I try this i found on the internet at linuxathome.com

1) mplayer infile.wma/ra -ao pcm -aofile outfile.wav
2) lame -f outfile.wav mp3outfile.mp3

when i try either the mp3outfile.mp3 or outfile.wav in any audio listener
xmms mplayer realplayer

the file sounds like gurgling moving water.

how to figure out how to get mp3 or ogg vorbis format output so that  i can
listen other than in realplayer.

mitchell