Re: sshd freezed on my (@#$%&^*!)

Paul Smith wrote:

I have an extremely annoying problem I hope someone can help me with, or
at least make some suggestion.  The environment is complex,
unfortunately, but...

I work remotely from home.  I'm running Debian "sarge" on both the local
and work systems.

I do a lot of work in Emacs, and rather than start a graphical Emacs and
DISPLAY through the VPN, which is slow (yes, I know about VNC etc.; I'm
happy with my current method for various reasons), I start a terminal
here, ssh to my system at work, and run "emacs -nw" to force TTY-mode
Emacs.  So basically I run something like this:

 rxvt -e ssh -t <remotehost> emacs -nw

This works fine EXCEPT... every so often it will completely freeze up.
Nothing I type is seen by the Emacs session.  The only way I can get out
of this is to kill the sshd on the remote system.  All my other
sessions/terminals/etc. continue to run fine, by the way, and if I start
another Emacs that works fine too.  It's nothing like that.

Do you have any firewall installed between the your machine (at home) and the server? Then that could be the problem. My guess is that ssh connection is automatically disabled after certain period of inactivity. If this infact is your situation, then try adding

ServerAliveInterval 300

to $HOME/.ssh/config  and see if the problem goes away.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
Graduate Student, MAE