Strange login problem

Hi there,

I have a strange problem that has manifested itself recently.
I am unable to log into ne of my boxes - either via ssh or local console.

SSH returns "<ip address> has closed the connection" immediately after
issuing  the "ssh2 command from another machine.
A local login just quits - i.e. you enter a username at the login prompt
and it just returns to the "user" login prompt - doesn't even ask for
password.

All services on the box are currently running fine, I just seem unable to
get a shell..

This box is not internet facing and no other boxes are exhibiting this
behaviour, so I am discounting an intrusion.

If I boot the machine in single user mode (i.e. linux single at the lilo
prompt) I can get into the machine and everything is OK until I either
logout, or issue "init 2" to get to runlevel 2 (it's normal run-mode).

The machine is running sarge on a Compaq Proliant SMP machine....I have
had no problems until a few days ago when this started...

Any ideas ... or any more infomation required?

I would prefer not to rebuild the machine, but if necessary I suppose I
will have to..

Cheers,

Pete.