Re: apt-get update works fine; but apt-get upgrade does not

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 06:10:19PM -0500, Josh Battles wrote:
> Joe Potter said:
> >
> > I am running Sid, and I can use apt-get update just fine. However, when
> > I then run apt-get upgrade I see apt fail to get even a single file.
> > Each one yields the message about failed to open the file.
> >
> > I thought that if the server was down, update would fail; and if update
> > worked then upgrade would also.
> >
> > Does anyone know the status of the repositories?
>
> I may be wrong here, but isn't the command apt-get dist-upgrade?  Maybe
> you're confusing aptitude upgrade with the apt-get version?

You're wrong here.  "apt-get upgrade" is a perfectly valid command.
"apt-get dist-upgrade" is also valid, and means "upgrade even if that
means installing other, new packages as well."

Josh:  actually Etch just hasn't had many upgrades lately.  Major
changes in Sid are delaying migration of packages, I hear.
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.