Re: USB Pen / Thumb / Keyring Drive

Apparently, _Graham Smith_, on 25/07/05 11:42,typed:
> Hi,
>
> I was just given a small USB pen drive and would like to get it working with
> Debian. I am sure you are probable thinking "Oh god not another n00b that
> can't mount a drive" but thankfully you would be wrong. I don't have any
> problems mounting the device but it feels very clunky compared to Windows
> where you just stick the drive in and hey presto it's there ready to be used.
>
> What I would like it something that will just automagically mount the drive. I
> have installed the usbmount package (which I presume is the same as
> usb-mount) but it doesn't seem to do anything. It's created /media/cdrom
> and /media/usb directories but that is it - it doesn't mount the drive when I
> plug it in. I am running KDE on Debian unstable and certain sites seem to
> indicate that one can get KDE to create an icon on the desktop when a usb
> drive is plugged in.
>
> Basically I'm interested to know what are my options are?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Graham

In KDE, as another poster replied, you need hal, udev, pmount and to
write a rule for udev and make a mount point for a device for your USB
stick. I have done this in KDE and created a device icon on the desktop.
If I plugin the USB stick and click on the USB icon, it mounts the stick
automatically and you can also unmount it prior to removing the stick.

I believe KDE 3.4 is going to offer the feature of doing this
transparently for the user as is currently being done in Gnome using
gnome-volume-manager. I usually use Gnome and get the USB stick icon on
the desktop as soon as I plug it in and have to unmount it before safely
unplugging the stick -- same as in Windows (in which you have to "Safely
remove" the USB device before unplugging it -- at least in XP).

->HS

--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address
to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.