Re: Good GUI for essid selection?

On Sunday 24 July 2005 14:08, Nate Duehr wrote:
> Damon Chesser wrote:
> >>I'm perfectly able to script such a thing, but the average
> >>user shouldn't be expected to do so.
> >
> > Of course not, but the average user does not set this up anyway, the IT
> > geek that gives him or her the box does.
>
> The idea of "someone setting up the box for them" is quaint and
> old-fashioned.

Tell that to the hundreds of Sales men and Office workers, all of which I set
up their boxes.  Not to even list all the times I told them how to set up
their private home networks with wireless (set up like work, so I don't have
to play with any settings).  I think what most people forget is that most
computers sold are NOT to private people but to business and those folks
almost never set up their own.

> People buy computers and set them up themselves these
> days, for better or for worse.
(and promptly corner me at work and ask me how to set up the wireless so their
work laptop will work at home).  Just my experience, that is no guarantee of
truth but only what I have found.  Your experience could be different.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com