New to Debian (Peter): Problem with resolution, sound, installing StarOffice 5.2

Hi!

I have just installed Debian Sarge (stable) on my notebook
(Acer Aspire 1363 WLMi, with a Sempron Mobile, an
Nvidia 5200 go Graphic ? no shared mem but a real graphic).

It is running :-)

When installing, there was no resolution to choose, when
configuring X11, which matches the native resolution
of my notebook (1280x800), so I have configured a few
others (smaller), the highest 1024x768, 24 bit). How
may I set the X11 resolution to 1280x800? (1)

At first, the sound was functioning, in both KDE and
Gnome (BTW, are there more power full GUIs than these
two? I love the WPS of OS/2, is there something comparable
for Linux). Then I did something in GNOME (something in
Sound there was a checkbox Sound Server ? I can't now
look at it, as I write this message from windows on
the same Notebook). Where can I look to solve this
problem. (2)

It would be better, to write my messages under Debian
of course, therefore I want to install StarOffice 5.2
which has a Newsreader (no more included in newer
versions of OpenOffice/StarOffice) ? sorry I don't
want to use another one, I have to learn a lot of
other things and the one of 5.2 works fine for me.
Has anyone installed StarOffice 5.2. May there
be any problems when doing it? (I'm afraid, it
won't have a Debian package) (3)

I'm not completely new to Debian, cause on another
PC I have installed Knoppix to hard disk, and even
have compiled and installed a Sinclair QL emulator in
it (QL is the computer Linus used, before he bought
the famous 386-PC). I. e. I know the most important
commands (ls, cp, ...) and have even a little
knowledge of shell scripting. And I have the new
book of Martin F. Krafft, "The Debian System".

Peter
--
peter_sulzer doesn't like spam and this is my domain:
t-online.de