X server security defaults.

I am running Debian Sarge on a simple single-user desktop system.  My X
display is started by kdm.  By default, Debian configures the  X server
to allow connections only by the user logged into the machine through
kdm.  If I want to start an X client by another user (e.g. start vim-gtk
as su'd root) I have to first type "xhost +local" as the logged-in user,
or transfer xauth tokens to the unprivileged user.  It doesn't seem like
this is something I should have to do all the time.  Since my X server
is configured not to listen for TCP connections and since I am the only
user on the machine, "xhost +local" seems to be a reasonable default.
Does anyone disagree?  How can I make "xhost +local" the default
configuration?

Thanks in advance for your input.

--Ethan