Re: Disappearing text in FireFox

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 11:03:18PM +0800, Mitja Podreka wrote:
> Kent West wrote:
>
> >You might also try a different color depth, screen resolution, or even
> >video driver.
> >
> Why then everything is OK in Gnome? Color depth, screen resolution and
> video driver is defined in X-window so it is the same for Gnome and KDE.
> It's not that I don't see the text, it just disappears sometimes. It
> happens only when I run FireFox in KDE. It  works OK in Konqueror.

I get this 'disappearing text' problem in Mozilla on fonts that don't
have anti-aliasing applied to them. I have AA disabled in the 8pt to
15pt range (can't understand how people think their fonts look good when
smoothed (more like blurred) in that range!) and occasionally notice
some text is 'missing'. If I increase the font size enough, the missing
fonts will get AA'd and they'll appear again and stay solid. Or I can
highlight the text, or scroll, and sometimes it will flash on/off. Hard
to describe.

Perhaps your GNOME setup is enabling AA where your KDE setup is not?

Can anyone not using AA confirm whether they do/don't see this problem?
I've experienced it on two Debian testing systems, one with an NVIDIA
card and drivers, one with a Radeon and the ati driver. It's not a new
problem for me. I use Microsoft fonts. I can't think of anything weird I
might have done to either setup. Hardly any customisations.

I don't experience this in any other apps. There were some postings
about 'disappearing text' in Mozilla back in Feb 2003, but that appears
to be unrelated, and got fixed.

The aforementioned site shows the problem for me:

http://www.sajeta.org/index.php?neki=x&x=delavnice

e.g. the first heading is "Francesco Cusa" but when the page first
loads, I can only see "Francesco". If I select that text or quickly
scroll down and back up, 'Cusa' appears.

Cheers

Jon