Re: No Screens Found

Kent West wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, xf86config is a pretty ancient tool; is it still a
valid tool? Doesn't it only produce an XF86Config file, whereas Woody's
version of X expects the file to be named XF86Config-4?

FWIW, xf86config has just (tonight!) solved a long standing problem I've had with my machine. I couldn't get dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 to set up working modelines for my monitor and card so that I was stuck at 1024x??? when I wanted 1280x1024. After on and off attempts for months, I tried xf86config, mae a small mod. to the mouse settings, renamed the resulting Xf86Config to *-4 and it works!

sometimes the old ways work... ;-)