ColdFusion MX (6.1) and MySQL

Hi all,

I installed ColdFusion MX (6.1) on Debian stable (note: Debian is not
supported by Macromedia).

The installer initially moaned about not having compat-libstdc++ "RPM"
installed.  I grabbed a RedHat RPM of compat-libstdc++, aliened it, and
installed it.  Of course, the installer is only looking for an RPM, so
it moaned again, but it let me proceed, so I did.

ColdFusion installed, and I can run CF scripts on my local server.  The
only problem I'm having is when I attempt to add a MySQL database as a
'data source'.  I get the following error:
Connection verification failed for data source: sybex
[]java.sql.SQLException: Server configuration denies access to data source
The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: Server configuration
denies access to data source

I've done this successfully with a few SuSE 9.2 (also not supported)
installs with literally the same db settings, and it works just fine.
Of course, I'd like to get this running in Debian if possible.

Note: before anyone brings up the notion of using another (better?)
server scripting environment, I need to install CF for work reasons.

Thanks for reading all of this...
Eric P