Re: Debian and wireless network cards

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Leonid Grinberg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was asked by a friend to install Debian on his system. He asked me
> about which wireless network cards Debian supports. Can anybody tell
> me which ones (I personally don't use a wireless network so I wouldn't
> know).

all wireless cards will work  if you're willing to sacrifice features
	- linux can use the ndiswrapper and use the windoze driver
	from the cdrom that came with the nic

----

if you want to build a wireless AP or wpa ..

	- you will need either the hostap driver or madwifi driver
	and see which cards it supports

	- be careful of old models and new models with the same part
	number but differs in which wifi chip is used on the pci/pcmcia
	cards

---

if you want wep, you can use most any other linux supported wifi cards

	- if you're using wep as your security mechanism,
	than consider your machine pre-hacked and keep all your
	bank info elsewhere

- run everything with ssh/ssl if you're paranoid
	ssh, pop3s, imaps, https, ..

---

easier way:
	a. see what is on sale and search for the linux drivers
	b. see what your buddy is using and use that wifi card

more wifi fun
	Linux-Wireless.org

c ya
alvin

-- for those that are looking to do a mediaum range 5-10 miles wifi,
   i've got two 24db wifi antenna that we'll be testing