Re: xfs-xtt

Thanks for the help! Sorry for the delay, I've only had time to look into this recently.

Kevin Mark wrote:
On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:50:05PM -0400, John Parejko wrote:

Hello. I've just recently settled on stable, from sarge-testing, and

Hi John,
If I understand what you said:
you were running 'testing' and now you are running 'stable'? This would
be the case if you source.list refers to 'sarge'.

That is correct.

this error:

/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: xfs-xtt is broken or not fully installed

So I tried to remove it with:

$ apt-get -V -q -f remove xfs-xtt

Which produced this error:

Removing xfs-xtt ...
dpkg (subpproocess): unable to execute pre-removal script: Exec format error

I would examine /var/lib/dpkg/info/xfs?????.prerm (check spelling for
correct script) and either find the error and find a way to fix what the
script is bombing on OR (since I suggest removing xfs-xtt) putting 'exit 0' at the top of the script to disable it. And the then remove the
package.

Ok, I looked at them, but they were garbled. It turns out that xfs-xtt.* are all file type "data" -- "file xfs-xtt.*" -- and not readable. 64 files total in /var/lib/dpkg/info are also type data, according to

file * | grep -c " data"

and these are spread cross a seemingly random range of programs. I think this is probably a bad thing, and don't know how it would have happened. All the files in this directory should be plaintext shell files or just contain md5-sums, right?

Ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks again
John

--