Re: Unable to add scroll-wheel mouse to xfree86

On 7/20/05, Jonathan Kaye <jonathan.kaye@univie.ac.at> wrote:
> En/La Vegard|drageV ha escrit, a 20/07/05 20:47:
> > Hi list,
> > from a previous thread I got hints on how to add a Logitech Mouse with
> > a scrollerwheel to the xfree86 system by running 'dpkg-reconfigure
> > xserver-xfree86' or by manually editing /etc/X11/XF86config-4.
> >
> > I've tried both, and either way the new mouse still doesn't work.
> > Using dpkg, I used these menu alternatives:
> > -psaux as the connection point
> > -ImPS/2 protocol
> > -With scrollerwheel
> I have never seen this. I use
> Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
> for my scroll wheel
> >
> > My original XF86config-4 file looks like this (with simple 2-button
> > mouse in /dev/ttyS0):
>
> What does your XF86Config-4 file look like NOW. Has it changed?

At this moment, when my serial-port-mouse is being used, my
XF86Config-4 file looks like the one I posted in the first mail. When
I get the error message, my XF86Config-4 file looks the same, but I
comment out the parts mentioned in my first mail.

> [...]
> > EndSection
> <snip>
>
> > The result is that X- will not start, where startx gives this errormessage:
> >
> > -----------startx errormessage---------start---------------------
> > hjem:~# startx
> >
> > X: warning; process set to priority -11 instead of requested priority -10
> > XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1 (Debian 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14 20050601051219
> > fabbione@fabbione.net)
> > Release Date: 15 August 2003
> > X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
> > Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.29-pre2 i686 [ELF]
> > Build Date: 01 June 2005
> >
> > This version of XFree86 has been extensively modified by the Debian
> > Project, and is not supported by the XFree86 Project, Inc., in any
> > way.  Bugs should be reported to the Debian Bug Tracking System; see
> >
> > We strongly encourage the use of the "reportbug" package and command
> > to ensure that bug reports contain as much useful information as
> > possible.
> >
> > Before filing a bug report, you may want to consult the Debian X FAQ:
> >        XHTML version: file:///usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.xhtml
> >   plain text version: file:///usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz
> >
> > Module Loader present
> > OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.27-2-686
> > (horms@tabatha.lab.ultramonkey.org) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian
> > 1:3.3.5-12)) #1 Mon May 16 17:03:22 JST 2005 T
> > Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
> >          (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
> >          (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> > (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Wed Jul 20 20:04:42 2005
> > (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
> > Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
> >         Undefined InputDevice "Configured Mouse" referenced by
> > ServerLayout "Default Layout".
> > (EE) Problem parsing the config file
> > (EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > no screens found
> >
> > When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
> > the full server output, not just the last messages.
> > This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
> > Please report problems to submit@bugs.debian.org.
> >
> > XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
> >       after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> > hjem:~#
> >

> > -----------startx errormessage---------stop----------------------
> >
> > In the previous thread, "Changing mouse (newbie question)", I was
> > given some hints on how to google more efficently, but I have not
> > found this problem other places. Please excuse me if I'm asking
> > somthing that has been asked before, it was not my intention.
> >
> > Thanks for the help in advance, cheers Vegard.
> >

> An improperly configured mouse section will result in the "no screens
> found" error message. Try what is suggested above and let us know if it
> fixes things. Again I am assuming you're using a ps/2 mouse not a serial

My old mouse, wich I'm using until this problem is resolved is a
serial mouse, the new mouse wich I am trying to add, is a ps/2 mouse.

Cheers, Vegard.