Re: Migration to new HD: "unable to open an initial console"

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:40:08 +0200, michael
<linux@networkingnewsletter.org.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 22:53 +0200, Matthijs wrote:
> > I'm in the process of migrating my server to a new harddisk - from a
> > 3.5inch IDE to a new 2.5inch notebook IDE to save power & less noise.
> >
> > I thought I should take the opportunity to set up the system to use
> > several partitions instead of one big partition. The new partition
> > scheme should be as suggested by the 'hardening debian' HowTo.
> >
> > Old partitionscheme:
> >
> > /dev/hda1	/		about 79GB	(bootable)
> > /dev/hda5       swap		0.5GB
> >
> > New partitionscheme:
> > /dev/hda1	/		5GB		(bootable)
> > /dev/hda2	swap		0.5GB
> > /dev/hda5	/tmp		1GB
> > /dev/hda6	/var		1GB
> > /dev/hda7	/var/mail	5GB
> > /dev/hda8	/home		about 67GB
> >
> > I've followed the Debian harddisk-upgrade HowTo, changed fstab
> > according to the above, installed grub on the new harddisk according
> > to a posting here by Mitchell Laks (thanks for that!).
> >
> > Then I switched the machine off, removed the old harddisk, switched
> > the new harddisk from slave to master and turned the machine on.
> >
> > Grub executed OK, there's a lot of info scrolling over the screen. At
> > some point there's a message, something like 'mounting /dev/hda1
> > read-only' (don't know exactly since it isn't logged anywhere)
> >
> > The next message is where it ends: 'unable to open an initial
> > console'.
> >
> > I'm sure I followed the Howto's to the letter and Google doesn't give
> > me any answers to this problem.
> >
> > I think the problem is that '/' is mounted read-only at first so that
> > the rest (/tmp, /var, /home) can't be mounted anymore, but I'm not
> > sure about that - what would that have to do with opening a console?
> > And why didn't that give me problems with my 'old' harddisk?
> >
> > Relevant content of /boot/grub/menu.lst:
> >  title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8
> >  root            (hd0,0)
> >  kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=791
> >  savedefault
> >  boot
> >
> > Would removing 'ro' in the kernel option line be a possible solution?
> >
> > Relevant content of /etc/fstab:
> >  proc        /proc       proc  defaults                    0   0
> >  /dev/hda1   /           ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0   1
> >  /dev/hda2   none        swap  sw                          0   0
> >  /dev/hda5   /tmp        ext3  defaults                    0   2
> >  /dev/hda6   /var        ext3  defaults                    0   2
> >  /dev/hda7   /var/mail   ext3  defaults                    0   2
> >  /dev/hda8   /home       ext3  defaults                    0   2
> >
> > Nothing wrong here, I think.
>
> This rings a tinsy winsy bell... but I think for me it was to do with
> booting not finding my HD (since I have a SATA and moved from 2.4 (hde)
> to 2.6 (sda))...

Mmmm... not the case here, I think. I'm copying the original system,
so same kernel (2.6.8-16, custom compiled). Also, the original HD was
'hda', the new HD is 'hdb' during installation but 'hda' when done.

Also, at the beginning of the boot-process, I see a message that the
harddisk including all partitions were found.

--
Matthijs
vanaalten@hotmail.com

No need to 'cc' me, I read the list.